If you are as addicted to Mexican food as me and my family you are probably always wanting to replicate the same food at home. Sometimes, it seems the recipes aren’t very ‘quick’ or ‘easy’. But they can be with some trial and error! I’m particularly fond of chimichangas. At a really good Mexican restaurant they are usually fried and OMGeee they are soooo freakin’ good!
I really wanted to make them at home and after tweaking a little bit I figured out a super yummy and really easy way to make baked chicken chimichangas! These are seriously slap-yo-mama good!
Not very complicated at all these chimichangas can be ready to devour within 50 minutes from start to first decadent bite. To make these even better, yeah, it’s possible, add this To Die For White Queso Cheese Dip! I love to pour it over the chimichangas on my plate and add some yummy restaurant style tortilla chips.
Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 1.5 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or tenders) boiled and shredded, I prefer the tenders as they cook quicker
- 10-12 flour tortillas
- 1 can small can of green chiles drained
- 1 small green pepper, diced saute with the diced onion in small amount of olive oil
- 1 small diced onion saute with green pepper in small amount of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- Boil the chicken in a pot of water for 8-12 minutes until done, remove from pot and shred
- While the chicken is boiling saute the diced onion and green pepper in a small amount of olive oil until tender
- Combine the cheese and dry ingredients in a bowl and add the shredded chicken and sauteed onions and peppers
- Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray lightly
- Assemble the chimichangas. Place a tortilla on the prepared pan, put a 1/4-1/2 a cup of chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla. Fold the tortillas long sides toward the middle then the short end over that. Place folds down on the pan. Spread melted butter over the chimichangas then bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until browned to your taste.Serve with a cheese sauce, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream or whatever you like. Add jalapenos on the side, oh and definitely some mexican rice!
I’m seriously not kidding, these are simply amazing and the White Queso Sauce is a perfect addition. Oh, add some yummy Mexican style rice and refried beans if you like. Also, if you have any chimichangas left they are great to freeze and reheat for a simple lunch. Yum yum give me some!
Let me know how this works for you!
**May contain affiliate links. I only promote products I use and highly recommend. Some products I review are sent to me at a discount or no charge. All opinions are mine. I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you if purchase through my links. See my Disclosure for the full disclosure statement.**